Hi,

A tile attribute is only visible in its tile, not in its parent, not in the sub tiles.
You should pass the attribute explicitly from the current tile to the inserted tile, or put the value in the request context:

 <tiles:insert attribute="header" >
   <tiles:put name="title" beanName="title" beanScope="titles" />
 <tiles:insert/>

Cedric

Steve Stair wrote:

How do I get the contents of a variable which is clearly available
inside the layout file
to be available inside a tile?

In my layout file, I can have something like <tiles:getAsString
name="title"/> which works just fine.

If I put the same tag in a tile, I get this error message:

 [ServletException in:/tiles/test.jsp] Error - tag.getAsString :
attribute 'title' not found in context. Check tag syntax'

--
Steve Stair