I've been known to "discourage" the use of the back button by opening my
apps in a browser window that doesn't have the usual location bar and back
button icons

This is why I use Opera :-).

Of course, it's incumbent upon the app developer to include enough nice
navigation controls in the page layout so as to minimize the temptation to
use the back button in any case ... :-)

I have used some truly horrible apps that tried to remove my buttons and didn't provide adequate navigation.

IMHO, it's not worth fighting the user over this issue. They want to use the back button so just let them.

David