Try using ":" instead of ";" in your CLASSPATH if you are developing under Linux/UNIX.

If this doesn't work, try putting the classpath within your javac statment:

javac -classpath <classpath> RegisterForm.java

HTH
Guido.

Tom Cat wrote:
Hi, I am new to struts trying to learn something from Ted Husted's book Struts in
Action.
I installed Tomcat and IBM JDK 1.4., then downloaded Ted's example application
register-complete.war (which is example app on struts site too). It works fine but
when I try to compile something using Struts - I am in a big trouble. I tried to
recompile one of Ted's simple java files (setting CLASSPATH beforehand as this seems
to be the usual cause for the proble I get, as I learned from mailinglist archives):

[root]/usr/local/tomcat/webapps/register-complete/WEB-INF/classes/app> echo $CLASSPATH
/usr/local/tomcat/webapps/register-complete/WEB-INF/lib/struts_1_0_2.jar;.;/usr/local/tomcat;/opt/IBMJava2-131/lib
[root]/usr/local/tomcat/webapps/register-complete/WEB-INF/classes/app> javac
RegisterForm.java
RegisterForm.java:2: package org.apache.struts.action does not exist
import org.apache.struts.action.*;
^
RegisterForm.java:4: cannot resolve symbol
symbol  : class ActionForm
location: class app.RegisterForm
public class RegisterForm extends ActionForm {
                                  ^
2 errors

Somebody, please help :(