Not exactly, if you had an ArrayList of String, you could don't need
property.
Like this:

<%
ArrayList lst = new ArrayList();
lst.add("value 1");
lst.add("value 2");
lst.add("value 3");
request.setAttribute("myCollection", lst);
%>

<logic:iterate id="itm" name="myCollection">
 <bean:write name="itm"/><br>
</logic:iterate>

--
James Mitchell