From: "Bueno Carlos M" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, March 06, 2003 11:06 PM
Subject: RE: Struts Tiles and UTF-8

Hey, Jim --

the @page directive tells the app server to send a content-type header to
the browser, which in your case includes the characterset. It does not
perform any conversion; you are simply asserting what format the text is
already in. If you have none, the browser uses your OS or webserver default
which is probably iso-8859-1 or -2 (similar to Western European, latin-1,
cp-1252, etc, etc, etc). Since it's likely the same computer you wrote the
files on, they will display correctly. Most browsers allow you to override
this. Under the View->Encodings menu in IE, for instance.

My last reply assumed your resource files were in different character codes.
That is a tricky thing to be sure of and the most common cause of problems
like yours. I don't like to be skeptical, but E+ doesn't do character code
conversion. So I have to ask how you are sure the files are in UTF-8. In
UTF-8, high-bit (decimal 128+) characters are encoded as two or more
characters; "Â{" (194, 123) is the French close-quote, "»". You will see
many odd capital A-something character pairs.

same html and view it as UTF-8, you see *three* French close-quotes. This is
an attempt at 'do what I mean' programming on the part of the Unicode
people, at the expense of ambiguity.

A quick way to make sure your resource files are really in UTF-8:

1. Append '.html' to the file name.

2. Open it in IE, make sure they are all displaying correctly (play with the
encodings if you need to)

3. Do File->Save As. In the save as dialog, there should be a drop down for
the encoding. Choose UTF8 and save. IE will convert your text.

4. Take out the miscellaneous html it puts in there and you should be good
to go.

For now I am ignoring the part about data in the database. There usually is
lots and lots of conversion that happens with DB data, and it's harder to
confirm that (a) your data is stored in the right format, and (b) it's being
returned from the db driver in the right format.

btw, congrats on using a real text editor. :)

Carlos "EBCDIC" Bueno