Bueno Carlos M wrote:

Hi, all -- I'm new to struts and I have a few questions. Since you are the
experts I'm sure you will be able to help me.

My boss wants to know how many people are using struts and how long it will
take to build our application using struts as opposed to our current
development process. We currently have a thousand monkeys sitting at a
thousand emacs editors. The application isn't completely designed yet, and
of course I can't release confidential information about our application but
if you could give me an estimate of monkey-hours saved, that would be great.

This is hard to determine, as we always use the chimp-hours factor. I do not at this time have a conversion from chimp hours to monkey hours. Sorry.

I was able to download the struts-blank.war file but I am having trouble setting it up. The first stumbling block was that it is misnamed. It should be called 'struts-blank.zip' because it is in zip format. I had to open the file in hexedit to figure that one out. Hopefully the next version will have the right name???

Actually it is a binary file and should have been a .bin

The other problem I have is that I can't get my application to behave properly. If the user types in their email address I want to be able to check that it is a correct one and show the field red while they are typing if it is not. I have a javascript that checks for the '@' sign but many people are typing in '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'. Since I don't think so many people would have the same email address we are losing valuable data. How can struts help me with this? Will it take many monkey-hours to implement?

It would take approximately .1 chimp-hours.

Once I unzipped the file I could not find any README or INSTALL file. I tried the usual 'make; make install' but that did not work. I went out on the net to find some install instructions and I read one place that said I just had to stick the zip file inside my tom cat. I do have a cat, but she's female. Will that make a difference, or does struts only run on male cats? Does it matter if they are neutered? Does each client need to have a male cat or just the server?

It should run on female cats. I have heard told that it runs on websphere, sometimes, and if it can run on that it can run on just about anything.

Thank you for your time, Carlos