The URL pattern parameter is not a general-purpose regular expression;
only certain patterns are valid.  In particular, if you want to do
extension mapping you have to use "*.do" (which will catch all requests
that have this extension on the end).

Inside your filter, you can be smart about deciding whether a particular
request URI is really one you want to play with, or if you should just
pass it on unmodified.

Craig