> is this:
>
> <jsp:useBean id="contractListForm" scope="request"
> class="view.ContractListForm"/>
>

> contained within a <form></form> tag?

No, it's at the top of the jsp page.  I created it in the previous action like
so:

        ContractsSearchCommand cmd = new ContractsSearchCommand();
        // Would do some setting here for criteria
        cmd.execute();

        ContractListForm outForm = new ContractListForm();
        outForm.setContracts(cmd.getContracts());

        request.setAttribute("contractListForm", outForm);

        return (mapping.findForward("results"));

I then try to get access to it at the top of the jsp page:

 <jsp:useBean id="contractListForm" scope="request"
class="view.ContractListForm"/>

There's no real need to make it a form object; I just wanted it to appear
consistent.