From: Dan Allen [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, March 20, 2003 3:09 PM
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: Re: Country select pull down.

I find that the best way to create a (somewhat static) select list
of options on an html page (such as a list of countries, states,
industries, services, etc..) is to make a Bean for the collection.
Then, in the jsp page, you simply do the following:

<jsp:useBean id="industryOptionBean" scope="session"
class="net.creativerge.struts.bean.IndustryOptionBean"/>

property="industrySearchOptions"/>

You can choose any scope you want, but in some cases, if the data
that the Bean retrieves is constantly changing, you might want to go
with the page scope so you are sure it is the freshest information.
Since new states and/or countries are not added that often, you
might best go with application scope.

The way that the jsp:useBean tag works is that it creates the bean
if it does not exist in the scope provided, otherwise it just
ignores the call.

I see so many people struggle with having the create select boxes
and I really think this is the best way to go.  The problem with
putting a bean into the scope using an action is that unless you put
it in a base action, you have to really think to make sure the user
can't get to the page without having the bean initialized.  This
especially becomes a problem when you are including the select box
on all pages (then each pages action has to remember to check for
this population).

To me it seems best to ask the jsp page to make you a bean before
you use the collection, or if you are using tiles, have the tile
controller prepare the bean.

Dan

related financial instruments.