Confusion?  Rancor?  ------ BAD (I advise against these)
Clarity? Harmony? ------ GOOD (I suggest these as helpful)

Let us agree that none of us are perfect. The foibles I see here, including my own, are within the bounds of acceptable conduct, even if they could not be endorsed. Let's celebrate our differences if we can. If you want to piss people off, then say that they are not okay. Mark does that, and people get into the towel snapping with him. One of Mark's imperfections is that he is just not a very nice person. He does not mind hurting people's feelings. That is not admirable. He is also a bit sensitive about his own shortcomings, and has some apparent ego problems. He probably was a bit agitated by Cedric being the expert at the French bookstore. He also has many considerable good qualities. He's a lot of fun. He is quite often helpful. You can read his own posts to get the rest. LOL. All in all, I like Beer Boy and hope that one day he will see that treating other people with kindness is a good thing for yourself as well as them.

Anyway, that is my pompous ass offering for the day. Let It Be!

At 04:31 PM 3/20/03 +0000, you wrote:
>> Who gives a (word removed) if Cedric is going to be in a bookstore this
Saturday?  I
was being sarcastic, not inflammatory, in the traditional hacker sense. <<

I do - and probably some others who subscribe to this list - who will be in
Paris and who may be interested in having a face-to-face discussion with the
author of tiles - arguably a very important component of struts.

>> Perhaps he will be dipping his freedom fries in freedom dressing sitting
by
the freedom doors before ordering freedom toast? <<

I presume this is a reference to French President Chirac's stance on the
imminent war to disarm Iraq - and the American 'humour' cited at the French
people as a whole. In my view - this comment is very inflamatory and I think
it has previously been agreed that prejudiced (and potentially racist)
comments such as this have no place on this list - in my view whether they
are marked as '[OT]' or not. Personally, I have a view on Chirac's stance
also - but do not feel this list is the appropriate medium on which to voice
it. Neither would I, as you seemed to have - presumed to know Cedric's
personal stance on this. Alternatively, you may view that - Cedric is French
and all French people will share the same view and traits - and can be
insulted and mocked - this then would definitely be racist, in my personal
view, of course.

>> And I've been helping people on this list since 1.0 beta, though got
preoccupied for a couple of months on my last project.<<

Great - technologies like struts can only survive with list such as these
and useful input from individuals such as yourself. I hope your project was
completed successfully.

>> Don't like my posts? Can you spell f-i-l-t-e-r? <<

I think everyone is entitled to their own views and some of the [OT] posts
*are* amusing - but when they may cause personal offence or voice prejudiced
views then I think we all have a personal duty to voice our dissatisfaction
with the sender. Whether in the sender's view they were meant to be
'humourous' or not or were posted merely to provoke a reaction - I still
think they are inappropriate. Dissatisfaction voiced.

Yes, I appreciate that Mark's comments should be taken with a 'ladleful of
salt' but I do *not* think Mark has '... earned the privilege to flame
who he wishes ...' - so, pretty please, Mark - apologise - I believe you
have overstepped the mark on this occasion.

H.

Who gives a shit if Cedric is going to be in a bookstore this Saturday? I was being sarcastic, not inflammatory, in the traditional hacker sense. Perhaps he will be dipping his freedom fries in freedom dressing sitting by the freedom doors before ordering freedom toast?

And I've been helping people on this list since 1.0 beta, though got
preoccupied for a couple of months on my last project.

Don't like my posts? Can you spell f-i-l-t-e-r?

Mark