Looking at the documentation for the web.xml, it reads:

taglib-uri:
  The taglib-uri element describes a URI, relative to the
  location of the web.xml document, identifying a Tag
  Library used in the Web Application.
taglib-location:
  the taglib-location element contains the location (as a
  resource relative to the root of the web application)
  where to find the Tag Libary Description file for the
  tag library.

So, for example, if your web.xml has

<taglib>
  <taglib-uri>http://www.acme.com/logic</taglib-uri>
  <taglib-location>/WEB-INF/tlds/struts-logic.tld</taglib-location>
</taglib>

you can place the taglib directive

<%@ taglib uri="http://www.acme.com/logic"; prefix="logic" %>

in your JSP.  The web.xml <taglib> provides a level of indirection thereby allowing
you to say, move your tlds or use a newer version without having to update all your
JSPs.

I *do* have every taglib that I use in my application declared in the web.xml.

Sri