A question along the same lines ... please see intermixed ...

On 03/24/2003 04:40:09 AM "Andrew Hill" wrote:

> IMHO you would probably want to create bean(s) that contain the relevant
> preferences. Ie:
>
> getFavouriteMouseOverColour()
> getPreferredAlignment()
> isShowColumnX()
>
> In your business tier of course these get persisted to / retrieved from
the
> database (a few hundred rows isnt going to hurt much (I think)).
>
> If these prefs dont get changed on the fly by other users (ie: only that
> user changes them usually) then the best place to retrieve is when the
user
> does a login and you can cache the bean(s) for that user in their
session.

To "cashe the bean(s) for that user in their session" do you forward to
another action (with a PreferencesForm bean defined in the mapping under a
session scope), or do you somehow just handle this (bean instantiation/set
properties/put in session scope) within the "after-login" action?

> In your JSP (or velocity template or whatever you use for rendering) you
can
> access the getters to provide you the appropriate values you need, and
of
> course make use of such things as the equals / notEquals tags etc...
(this
> isnt 'logic' its just hiding/showing stuff depending on whats set in
your
> prefs...)

<snip>

Susan Bradeen