I never thought we'd have lawyers telling use what we can and can't discuss on *our* mailing list.

David

From: "Tammy Cravit" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: [OT] Contract Work: Going Rate?
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 20:49:31 -0800

> general landscape well (Tomcat, Struts, Ant, etc., etc., with Linux,
> scripting, various databases, etc.).  What would a reasonable request
> be?  Thanks.

First of all, I would caution about asking questions like this on a
mailing list, as the discussion of hourly rates and stuff came up on
another list I belong to and the moderators there obtained an opinion
from a lawyer that discussing pricing in terms of specific dollar
amounts in a group like this could be deemed price-fixing by the courts,
which is illegal.

That having been said, one common rule of thumb seems to be to divide
your annual salary as an employee by 1000, and using that as a starting
point for figuring out your hourly rate. Obviously you'd need to adjust
that for your local market, but that's not a bad starting point.

Tammy