Hi Richard,

The scope attribute in an insert is used to specify the jsp scope from which a definition should be retrieved. Definition can be stored in a jsp context by the user or with the help of the <tiles:definition .. > tag.

Definitions declared in the tiles config file are NOT stored in a jsp scope, but in the tiles definition factory. There is no way to store them in a jsp scope from the config file. So the scope attribute is not available in the config file.

Cedric

Richard Mixon wrote:

Sorry, to repost, but this seems like a bug. No?

Hi. We are trying to use the "beanScope" attribute. The Tiles
documentation that comes with Struts 1.1rc1 says that both the
definition and put tags support "beanScope". When I use it we get the
following error when Tomcat 4.1.18 starts up:

19:26:14,593 ERROR Digester:1434 - Parse Error at line 29 column -1:
Attribute "
scope" is not declared for element "definition".
org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: Attribute "scope" is not declared for
element "de
finition".
       at org.apache.crimson.parser.Parser2.error(Parser2.java:3160)
       at org.apache.crimson.parser.Parser2.maybeElement(Parser2.java:1411)

I' also looked at both the tiles-config.dtd and tile-config_1.1.dtd -
neither indictates that beanScope is supported. However the
struts-tiles.tld file does reference the "beanScope".

Is it intentional that defining Tiles in the XML config file is
down-level from defining Tiles in the actual JSP page?

Thanks - Richard