I have some data in an XML file.

I read it in from JSP using <x:set> (the JSTL X tags)

I then transfered it to a variable like so:
<c:set var="somevarname">
    <x:out ... />
</c:set>

I can now dump it out happily using <c:out>

It turns out that this particular value (an integer) is useful in a
subsequent JSP page (if my user elects to go there by clicking the
appropriate link). So I want to pass it as a parameter when I link to that

Aha! the <html:link> allows me to add parameter information. But it appears
that such info must be in a bean.

So I created a bean:
<jsp:useBean id="foo" class="java.lang.String"/>

But for all my efforts, I can't figure out how to get the "somevarname"
value into "foo"

I tried:
<jsp:useBean id="foo" class="java.lang.String"><c:out
value="${somevarname}"/></jsp:useBean>
but that isn't working. (Subsequent attempts to <bean:write name="foo"/>
come up blank.)

I just know when I wake up tomorrow, the answer is going to be obvious and
I'm going to feel stupid for asking. But one of the advantages of working
late without much sleep is that we don't care how we're going to feel about
it in the morning.

Any suggestions?

Jefficus