One step you need to take care of, if you haven't yet, is reading the
JSTL specification.  If you had, you would have noticed that
"$param.userName" should be "${param.userName}".  I'm not certain
whether this the cause of your exception, however.

org.apache.taglibs.standard.lang.support.ExpressionEvaluatorManager.getE
va
> luatorByName(ExpressionEvaluatorManager.java:146)
>       at

org.apache.taglibs.standard.tlv.JstlBaseTLV.validateExpression(JstlBaseT
LV