It appears (I am sure I missed some docs about this somewhere ... ) that
DynaActionForm String properties are initialized to an empty String,
unless otherwise set in the config file. The <logic:present> will never
work as expected, since there aren't any null String property values.
Subclassing the DynaActionForm (or DynaValidatorForm in my case), and
overriding the initialize() method, the String properties can be set to
null. If these property values are not set again in the action, the values
remain at null. This allows the <logic:present> in the JSP to work as
expected.

If I have missed some glaring negative issue in doing this, please someone
feel free to share it with me.

Thanks,
Susan