Hi Hill,

Thank u for ur invaluable response.

Im in to development of Internet Banking applications and felt Expresso had extra
features than wht struts provides and also it is superset of struts, in which case it
shud give me that easy extendability that struts provides, that's wht im gonna check
for.

in case of Barracuda, i also had the same sentiment with that framework. infact the
"Push MVC" mechanism really impressed me , but i felt that the event handling
mechanism must be really desingned well to adapt to changes or else u will have lot of
problems later.

i have started exploring Expresso and hope that it delivers wht it promises to be.

regds,

Gurumurthy R.

"Struts Users Mailing List" wrote:

Well I had to make the decision about this time last year between struts and
barracuda. I ended up choosing struts simply because I could understand the
basics of it in the time I had to do my evaluation, wheras I found Barracuda
a lot more challenging to understand - especially since I was also new to
servlet programming coming form using swing (which is kindof ironic given
that Barracuda has a highly developed 'event' type model that would be more
the sort of thing a swinger is used too!).

Now this doesnt mean that struts is better than barracuda. I believe
barracuda offers quite a bit that struts doesn't in some respects such as
the event model and dom based rendering - although one of the advantages of
struts is that while the JSP support is particularly strong - you arent tied
to any particluar rendering technology - and I took advantage of this
ditching JSP to go with a DOM based rendering methodology myself.
And a comprehensive event model might add more complexity than is needed for
many apps (though mines getting the stage where I could rather use one!)

The impression I got (& still have) was that struts could be bent and
twisted more to suit my own diabolical intentions - and figuring that I
wasnt at the stage to know those needs fully - decided it was best I kept my
options open and went with struts...

Struts also has the advantage of having the greatest 'mindshare' - and I
find the struts mailing list an invaluable resource that is much more
helpful than mailing lists for other techs I use (certainly busier than
most!).

You really need to see how the frameworks fit in with *your* needs. For
example expresso contains struts - so logically it is a superset of the
features that struts has - which must be better right? Maybe & maybe not!
Maybe the extra stuff requires it to impose constraints on how you implement
things (I havent used it so I cant offer any facts as to whether thats the
case or not) or maybe you dont need the extra features so you would just be
deploying deadweight - or maybe it has some features that would be really
useful to your application and that would take ages for you to duplicate if
you just used struts which would thus make it a better choice...