The problem is because you end up having quotes inside of quotes.
Maybe if you look at this it will make sense:
value="<b:w n="h"> p="g"/>"

How many quotes are there?  I count 6, where a property must have only 2.

The solution is to put a bean:define ahead of it,
then use the local bean inside the other tag:

<bean:define id="gender" name="header" property="gender" />

David Hibbs
Staff Programmer / Analyst
Distributed Applications Development and Support
American National Insurance Company