>But I think you really take a step back if you are going to tie all of your
>code to the request map.  You'll lose the validation capabilities
>of struts and
>the pre-population of forms.

So in fact the ONLY reasoning behind ActionForms is that you can easily
prepopulate?
And I don't see how validation is made any easier.  Unless of course Struts
magically knows better than I do what my data should look like!

So really if I decide the advantages just don't add up for my use, then I
can ditch the ActionForm and the tags, but I do still like the tags like

So the only tags that rely on a Form Bean are those that accept user input?

>If you were going to use
>DynaActionForms, you'll
>lose some typecasting like with <form-property name="itemIdsToDelete"
>type="java.lang.Integer[]" />.
>
>Mike Whittaker wrote:
>
>> I know I've been here before, but it is my main sticking point.
>>
>> Does anyone JUST use the Form Beans as a html form backend,
>> whether that is for pre population or validation or both.
>>
>> BUT
>>
>> Then decide that is easier to use the request parameters as a
>java.util.Map
>> in the business layer.
>>
>> I know I can do this, I'm just looking for some moral support :-)
>>
>> Is in fact the ONLY reasoning behind ActionForms that you can easily
>> prepopulate.

Any more takers?