> Here's is another "what would you do in this situation?" inquiry.
>
> We're an ASP and I would really like to leverage Struts for the
> controller (I don't intend on leveraging the view aspect). Our biggest
> issue with leveraging Struts is that we need to be able to handle
> customer-specific customizations at the presentation level
> and possibly in terms of workflow as well.

I hate to plug our site again so soon after making the announcement, but we had to do
this very thing. Check out the following links:

http://packaging.hotels.com/packaging/?TSRC=1

http://packaging.hotels.com/packaging/?TSRC=2

(These work up to TSRC=5)

We use a modified versions of Tiles and several of the Struts HTML tags for this:
instead of pulling various items (text, image locations, tiles, etc.) out of a
resource bundle we pull them out of a DB. As you can see, this allows for a large
degree of customization, with different stylesheets, images, buttons, and tiles use to
build various elements within the page. By keeping true to the MVC paradigm, this has
allowed us to deploy the web app with a substantially different look and feel for a
given affiliate.

> My initial thought was "ok, so I will provide customer-specific action
> mappings". The basic idea was to have a set of default action mappings
> defined and then have customer-specific overrides for the non-default
> stuff.

> Any thoughts on this? If you were an ASP that needed to support this
> kind of customization, what would you do? I really like the notion of
> maintaining this in the controller level... it makes a lot of sense to
> me at an abstract level but Struts, as it stands, does not seem well
> suited to this particular application (of course I may be missing some
> slick way to accomplish this which is, of course, why I am here :-)

It really depends upon how much customization you have to give to your clients. If
they only want to do look-and-feel changes, then this will be relatively
straightforward to implement. Customizing business flow, however, could be quite a
challenge, especially given various dependencies that usually crop up.

I don't think it would be unreasonable -- again, depending on your exact requirements
-- to set limits on what can and cannot be customized.

-= James