"Mother of All Frameworks"? THAT is a hoot!

At 01:02 PM 5/30/03 -0700, Craig R. McClanahan wrote:

On Fri, 30 May 2003, Mike Whittaker wrote:

> Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 19:09:47 +0100
> From: Mike Whittaker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: RE: time to do action
>

> >Maybe I'm wrong, but this is how I understand the way filters work.
>
> You are probably right, my brain hurts, it's Friday.
>

> >> I want the Struts way, I'm learning struts.
> >
> >I didn't realize there was a Struts way. Filters are filters, aren't they?
> >

> There must be a struts way to do it surely.

You could certainly create a custom RequestProcessor that includes timing
if you wanted to, but filters are a much more elegant mechanism to
accomplish this particular thing (timing a request).

We shouldn't assume that Struts (or any other framework) is going to meet
100% of your needs.  After all, Struts doesn't try to solve your
persistence-tier problems; it comfortably integrates with anything you
would like to use.  In the same way, you can easily integrate non-Struts
tag libraries, non-Struts XML parsing and processing, non-Struts servlets,
non-Struts filters ... we should enjoy the synergy of using these things
together instead of hoping for a "mother of all frameworks" solution that
satisfies every single need in one package.

Craig

LEGAL NOTICE

This electronic mail transmission and any accompanying documents contain information belonging to the sender which may be confidential and legally privileged. This information is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to whom this electronic mail transmission was sent as indicated above. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution, or action taken in reliance on the contents of the information contained in this transmission is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please delete the message. Thank you