Struts is a mature framework with its own schedule.

At 09:44 AM 6/2/03 -0500, you wrote:
OK, let's look at it another way.  If Struts 1.1 is ready for prime time,
why don't the authors trust it enough to release it?  If the authors don't
trust it enough to give it their stamp of approval (bugs or no bugs), why
should our company?

I know I'm not going to convince you of their decision, but at least our
company lets us use open source software in development.  Lots of
companies don't even have that freedom.  I think that using only software
that is actually released isn't a bad compromise.  It hasn't been a
problem for 95% of the code we've wanted to use.  There have only been two
exceptions: Struts and JDOM.  So, my question was, why do they think the
code isn't good enough for a release?  Now it seems that Struts 1.1 is
ready, some other component isn't ready.  If that's the case, can that
component be removed, then added in a 1.2 release?  If it's another jar,
it's extremely simple to add a jar when it's ready.

On Sun, 1 Jun 2003, Steve Raeburn wrote:

> Jay,
>
> I know it's not your fault, but I can't understand why companies insist on
> waiting for the "official" release. Like that's going to magically mean
> there are no bugs in it.
>
> If your company had written some software, say a web-application framework,
> in-house, would they a) wait for some external source to give the software a
> stamp of approval or b) use normal in-house testing procedures to verify
> that it works well enough for you to trust it in your production
> applications?
>
> Encourage the decision makers to think of it as in-house code. You still
> have to verify it works for you, but the hourly rate to your company for the
> developers was $0. Nada. Zilch. Free. It's just a big pool of free code,
> written by some damn good programmers, that they don't have to pay for. Try
> getting a consulting firm to quote to develop your own custom framework
> that's as powerful as Struts. It's gonna hurt =:-(
>
> To put it another way, if you told your boss that you had several top class
> Java developers and hundreds (thousands?) of testers who were all willing to
> come and work for you for free, would he really turn that down?
>
> In the time that you have been waiting for the 1.1 release, seven books have
> been written *and* you've probably wasted a whole lot of man-hours
> reinventing framework code that is *less* well written and tested that the
> "development" code in Struts. (No disrespect intended to you and your team,
> but a lot of people have been through this code base with a fine-toothed
> comb!) And that's a real cost, as opposed to an perceived risk.
>
> And the end of the day, the more people that are reviewing the code and
> using the software for real, the more bugs will have already been found and
> the less risk there will be in using it. I would guess that Struts has been
> reviewed more thoroughly than *any* in-house software project and probably
> more than most commercial products. And if you do come across a bug then you
> can easily ask for help, or fix it yourself. Have you ever tried calling any
> large Redmond based companies and asking them to send over their source code
> because you want to track down a bug?
>
> There has been a delay in releasing 1.1, but that's largely because it's not
> a *minor* upgrade from 1.0, but a biggy. There probably should have been
> lots of little 1.x releases. But there weren't and here we are.
>
> Finally, to answer your question. I believe the only outstanding issue is a
> dependency on the commons fileupload component that is nearly ready and that
> the Struts release is planned to be "real soon now" ;-)
>
> Steve

LEGAL NOTICE

This electronic mail transmission and any accompanying documents contain information belonging to the sender which may be confidential and legally privileged. This information is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to whom this electronic mail transmission was sent as indicated above. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution, or action taken in reliance on the contents of the information contained in this transmission is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please delete the message. Thank you