I would do something a little more code but less confusing.
This is just a guess I don't have this working:

JSP:

the value above is which method in your DispatchAction to go to as in add or
update.

struts config:
    <action    path="/addOrUpdateUser"
            parameter="todo"
            type="my.web.action.AddUpdateUserAction" <--extends
DispatchAction
            name="updateUserForm"
            input="doc.userForm"
            validate="true"
            scope="request">
            <forward name="showUserForm"  path="doc.UserForm"/>
            <forward name="showConfirm"  path="doc.updateUserConfirm"/>
    </action>

Action class:
class AddUpdateUserAction extends DispatchAction
{

public ActionForward add(...)
{
        //code for adding a user