From: news [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of sjones
Sent: Wednesday, 4 June 2003 21:16
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Struts View (JSP's -vs-Servlets)

I am writing an application that will Access an LDAP Directory Server

The directory has many, many attributes and an attribute may be a single
element
or an array of elements.

Using an entry of the type- employee we have this example.

Example:  A phone number attribute will store as many phone numbers as
needed.
                Cost Center element will always have just a single value.

My problem is this.  I can create a java class for each attribute that i
need to use
and my class can have a method such as "writeHTML()" which returns HTML text
to display the attribute on a web page.

In doing this, I don't have to code the HTML tag for this on every page in
my
web app that needs to display this attribute.  I can simply call the
writeHTML method
from the class and have the same code throught the APP.

It would seem to me that a servlet is a better choice for implmenting a
view.

Question 1.  if my writeHTML() method returns HTML with struts tags will,
the struts
                   tags be evaluated properly.

Question 2  can u do this in a JSP page:

                         <%=
                                 "<html:text property=\""  + fld_nme + "\" "
+  " value=\"" + fld_val + "\">";
                         %>