You can treat it as a ResourceBundle:

String bundleName =
"com.mycompany.myapp.ApplicationResources";

ResourceBundle  bundle
   ResourceBundle.getBundle(bundleName,
currentLocale);

Leave out currentLocale if you want the default.

A more consistent way is, if you have access to the
Session"

MessageResources bundle = (MessageResources)
request.getSession().getServletContext().getAttribute("org.apache.struts.action.MESSAGE");

-Kevin