Yes, but to clarify...
I am showing a jsp page with values read from a database. If the
checkbox value is true, how do I then make the checkbox on my jsp-page
checked and how do I then find out if the checkbox has been unchecked?
Do I have to manually read the posted data and see if the checkbox
attribute is missing or is there a better way?

BTJ