Thank you for replying, and I apologize for the brevity of my last
message. I was more focused on the fact that you are running WAS 4.0 with
RC2 without trouble. I had posted my problem yesterday, but I wasn't
entirely sure of the cause at the that time, so it was probably badly
explained. As it happens, setting the compliance property does appear to
make the problem go away, but I don't have the option of using it (or
mandating that people who use this app have to set this property in order
for the app to work correctly).

For my problem, as an example, in a JSP I have

In RC1, this generates <a href="/myApp/change.do" >, which forwards
correctly.
In RC2, this generates <a href="/myApp/myApp/change.do" >, which gives me
a 404 error, since the "myApp" gets appended to the path twice.

I noticed today that a bugzilla report has been filed for this. At least
that gave me some confidence that it wasn't happening in just my web
application.

Thanks again.
Susan