From: Joe @ Team345 [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, June 11, 2003 9:45 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Can you send a "null" value to a form in Struts (1.1)?

Hi,

Sorry if this is an oft asked question, but I just joined the list as I
was unable to find the answer elsewhere.

I'm using StrutsRC 1.1 (with webdoclet/xdoclet going to jboss).  My
question is basically in the subject: If I have a java Integer class on
a form, can I send a null value to this from a jsp?  While I cannot find
a way to do so, the logic in the "requiredif" part of the Validator
makes me think that it should be possible.  [In case anyone doesn't know
why I want to do this:  I have several fields (html:text elements) on a
form that are optional - a common occurrence!  I'm trying to send a null
for the Integer ones so that I know nothing was entered there.  However,
whenever it runs I get a zero (0) instead.  This happens to be a legal
value so I seem to be out of luck.

If this is not possible should all parameters passed (from a jsp) be
Strings?  At least this way one can test for empty strings and take some
action accordingly.

Looking forward to any thoughts or comments from others who have
experienced this previously.

Joe Gamache