If I use multiple mappings, then I end up having something like this
(only the input tag for validator is included):
For Updates:
    <action
      path="/FooActionUpdate"
      type="com.myco.editors.FooAction"
      name="FooForm"
      scope="request"
      input=".editor.fooUpdate"
      parameter="dispatchAction">
      <forward name="edit"   path=".editor.fooUpdate"/>
      <forward name="top"   path=".editor. fooTop"/>
    </action>
For Creates:
    <action
      path="/FooActionCreate"
      type="com.myco.editors.FooAction"
      name="FooForm"
      scope="request"
      input=".editor.fooCreate"
      parameter="dispatchAction">
      <forward name="edit"   path=".editor. fooCreate"/>
      <forward name="top"   path=".editor. fooTop"/>
    </action>
For Selection:
    <action
      path="/FooActionTop"
      type="com.myco.editors.FooAction"
      name="FooForm"
      scope="request"
      input=".editor.fooTop"
      parameter="dispatchAction">
      <forward name="top"   path=".editor. fooTop"/>
    </action>
For Non-Editting:
    <action
      path="/FooActionNoEdit"
      type="com.myco.editors.FooAction"
      name="FooForm"
      scope="request"
      parameter="dispatchAction">
      <forward name="view"   path=".editor. fooView"/>
      <forward name="confirmDelete"   path=".editor. fooConfirm"/>
      <forward name="top"   path=".editor. fooTop"/>
    </action>
The only thing that differs between the mapping definitions is the path
and the forwards that are available to the definition.  Having the
repetitive definition blocks just doesn't seem right.  If I (or another
developer) go in to make any changes to the mapping, then I have three
or more sets of mapping to analyze and possibly change.  That just seems
messy and prone to error.

Nick