What! You don't have to recompile when you make a change to your properties
file?

Compiling is only for Java code. Text files don't need to be compiled so you might be talking about rebuilding your app?

David

Man, I must've been doing something seriuosly wrong. Whenever I changed
anything in the application.properties or struts-config.xml, or any of my dtd's
and .xml files(including validation.xml, which is such a pain...), I would have
to recompile the project and restart tomcat. The only thing that doesn't
require recompile is changes made to any .jsp files or .java files. Even with
.java files, if there is synchronized(Object) statement, the debugger would give
me a warning saying things 'may out of sync.'

I am using Eclipse 2.1, which btw is much better than visualAge 4.0:).

>I store all of my sql statements in a properties file and use ? for
>replacement parameters into PreparedStatement objects. That way I can
>support many databases by swapping in a different properties file. Even if
>you only need to support 1 database it's still useful because you don't
>need to recompile to change sql.
>
>There is a Mapper project in the commons-sandbox that supports this.

I should also mention that Mapper also makes it trivially easy to pass in a
collection of objects to fill the ? sql parameters.  If you use Mapper,
please send me feedback :-).

David