Oh. I see. But the client-side validation does not behave this way.

I have just max and min length specified, and with javascript on, I cannot submit if the field is blank.

David Graham wrote:
This is actually a good thing :-).  Minlength will only fail if there is
some text in the control and it's less than the minimum length.  If you
want it to fail with no data you need to use the required validation.  By
separating these validations you can make a field optional and if the user
fills it in, it has to be more than minlength characters.

David