Can anyone tell me how to use logging from within Struts?

I have TOMCAT 4.1.18 running as well as Struts 1.1.
In my Action class called UserActivator I want to log some information.
Where and how do I configure what? I found on the WWW that I have to put a
commons-logging.properties file within the WEB-INF/classes directory but
what
do I have to put in it? Where will the log file be placed given which name?
What do I have to do within the Action class?
Presently I have the following statements in my Action class:

import org.apache.commons.logging.*;

private static Log logger = LogFactory.getLog(UserActivator.class);

logger.trace("some text");

Thank you.

Dirk
Berlin, Germany