On Thu, 3 Jul 2003, Kuma Zuki wrote:

> Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2003 15:43:24 +0800
> From: Kuma Zuki <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Need help for single sign-on implementation
>
> Hi All,
>
> We have couple of applications (some in servlet/jsp implementation and
> some in struts), I would like to build an layer on top of that so that
> user can access different applications from a single common interface.
> Currently we validate the user from the database and keep all the
> credential informations in each application's own session after the user
> login.
>
> Just want to check is there any way to share the credential information
> among all the apps and passing the data from one apps to another, If
> yes, what is the best way to implement that?
>
> We are using Tomcat4.1.24 for development and Deployed to WebSphere5.0.
> I think there is something call cross context in Tomcat. Is that
> relevance? How about in WebSphere?

All J2EE containers are required to support single sign on across
individual web applications depoyed on the same container instance.
You'll need to consult the container's specific documentation for how this
is set up, but the general idea is that a user is authenticated only once
and can navigate between the various apps without having to
reauthenticate.

For Tomcat 4.1.24 in particular, see:

  http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/config/host.html

and scroll down to "Single Sign On" in the "Special Features" section.

Craig