I have used a relatively simple approach for this in most of my Struts
applications.

Since I almost never have to use more than one ActionForm in any single
request, I record the ActionForm in the request-scope under a well-known
key from the ActionForm's validate method and from the Action's execute
method (just to be safe for cases where there's no validation), and then
find it by that key in the request-scope in the view.

There are probably cases where that's too simplistic an approach, but I
haven't run into any.

-- Dan Jacobs