Struts 1.1 has dependencies to some commons projects. First 1.1 pre-release of Struts
used commons-dbcp for the
DataSource functionnality in replacement of GenericDataSource .

Waiting for this commons to get stable before releasing 1.1 final, Struts commiters
agreed to go back to
GenericDataSource because commons-dbcp looked very unstable.

Struts-legacy has been created to include this class outside of Struts core as
DefaultDataSource have been deprecated :
Future Struts version will set the <datasource> "type" attribute to mandatory, so you
will have to set your selected
DataSource (that can be commons-dbcp, and lot's of us use container pool service and
JNDI to get a DataSource).

Nico.