The docs on useAttribute seem do not mention that it
will honour the "type" attribute.

Obviously it is not a string when placed as a put.
This would cause the class cast.

What is the cast exception.  It should specify what it
thinks it is?

There is a getAsString method as well, but I don't
know if this will help you...

sandeep