From: Micael [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, July 09, 2003 4:58 PM
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: RE: [OT] Use of Static Methods

Of course they do.  That is not the point.  "Care" does not mean
exclusion.    You have stated some limited uses, which is what I said.
So,
you are not disagreeing with what I said.  The problem is that many
programmers do not really understand the nature of polymorphic behavior
and
its critical nature in OO programming.  I also, by the way, use other
languages, but that does not make them, or static methods, OO
programming.

At 04:31 PM 7/9/03 -0500, you wrote:
>I have to disagree that static methods do not somehow fit into an OO
>environment. They are integral parts of the FactoryMethod,
Singleton,and
>ServiceLocator.Also as convenience methods for conversions from one
type
>to another they are particularly handy. Not using static methods where
>appropriate because of a mistaken belief that they are somehow not "OO"
>will limit your programming.
>
>On Wed, 2003-07-09 at 15:48, Micael wrote:
> > I have to agree philosophically with the care that should be taken
in
> using
> > static methods.  They really have limited use in an OO environment.
They
> > are like doing procedural code.  You can run an entire Java program,
by
> the
> > way, without using the main(String [] params) method.  A lot of
people
> > don't realize this.  You just use all static methods and data.  I
have a
> > half hour program I run doing all sorts of things, including some
snappy
> > graphics, math, etc., with no main method.  But, this is certainly
not OO
> > programming.

philosophical

> > >Yes you could declare it static; however, accessing static data
isn't a
> > >sufficient condition for making a method static.

> They
> > >
> > >That's incorrect.  Static methods cannot be overridden.

> > >How can you possibly judge that functionality will never change in
> > >particular method?  Except in very limited circumstances you can
never
> > >assume that.  Just look at the assumption used in designing
RequestUtils
> > >as static methods for an example.

> > >That's a red herring argument.  The class is loaded regardless of
static
> > >or non-static method calls.  A basic Java object is 8 bytes of
memory.
> > >Are you going to give up on design principles for 8 lousy bytes?
> > >
> > >OO programs should be made up of objects passing messages to other
> > >objects, not calling global functions.
> > >
> > >David

LabOne

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

> > >For additional commands, e-mail:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

> > LEGAL NOTICE
> >
> > This electronic mail  transmission and any accompanying documents
contain
> > information belonging to the sender which may be confidential and
legally
> > privileged.  This information is intended only for the use of the
> > individual or entity to whom this electronic mail transmission was
sent as
> > indicated above. If you are not the intended recipient, any
disclosure,
> > copying, distribution, or action taken in reliance on the contents
of the
> > information contained in this transmission is strictly prohibited.
If you