On Thu, 10 Jul 2003, Nimish Chourey , Tidel Park - Chennai wrote:

> Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 14:28:16 +0530
> From: "Nimish Chourey , Tidel Park - Chennai" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: [OT] Session Management using EJB
>
> Hi all ,
>       I want to know if there are  applications that implements Session
> Management using EJB's  rather then using the HttpSession on Web tier .
> I want to know the pros and cons of this approach . For all the R&D that I
> have done , it seems that this approach could be used when you are deploying
> your application in a clustered environment , where it is really a over head
> to duplicate the sessions on all the servers in the cluster .

I would imagine that app servers have ways to configure whether sessions
are duplicated on *all* other servers or not, depending on the level of
redundancy you need to support failover and/or load balancing.

> Still I am in dilemma , whether to follow this approach or not ??
> This is really off topic , but I guess many of the developers here must have
> come across this ..
> Any sort of help , pointers is really appreciated .

I presume you're talking about maintaining state across HTTP requests,
right?  That's the only reason you'd use an HttpSession.  The
corresponding EJB mechanism would be a stateful session bean (SSB).  A few
things to think about:

* You're still going to need an HttpSession anyway, in order
  to save a reference to the SSB across requests.

* The SSB will typically live in the EJB server
  somewhere, but quite likely to be remote.  Therefore, each call
  to a method on the SSB are likely to be network accesses, not
  local method calls.

* Does the server make more than one copy of the SSB, for the
  same reasons that it replicates HttpSession instances?  If so,
  then your reasons for doing this seem to be invalidated.

In general, I'd still stick with HttpSession for state information that is
strictly related to the web tier (for example, a form bean that contained
all the fields for a multi-page wizard), and use EJBs for stuff that
relates to the business logic and persistence tier.

> Regards
> Nimish

Craig