----- Original Message -----
From: "Sandeep Takhar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Zhou" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 7:33 AM
Subject: Re: How do I implement a Master/Detail maintenance form?

> I don't think there is best-practices specific to
> master/detail processing per se.

Agree.

> There are a lot of different ways to do this.  So many
> that I don't know where to start actually.
>
> I would look at scaffolding as a best-practices and I
> would buy Struts in Action by Ted Husted & gang.
>
> Not a plug, but if I was just starting, this is the
> advice I would want.  <assumption that you are just
> starting>
>
> One way to do this is to have multiple forms on the
> master page.  Each "action" posts to a different form
> and the update/read links just point directly to an
> action.  An example of an action is "Add" or "Delete".

I have a question regarding to the use of multiple forms
on the same page (with different html form elements).
Since each action button posts to a different form,
a senario can be conceived in which a user fills in both
of master form and detail form on the page and then
clicks a button to submit the detail form.

Suppose the next screen is the same page, then
the user would find the data entries for the master form
are lost. Do you have any workaround for this senario?
It is not clear to me that such use of multiple forms is valid
or not. Just my thoughts for a quite long time with
an assumption that we do not combine the master form
and the detail form into one html form.

If I suppose the next screen is going to be a different page,
then I think it is simpler to have the detail form on
another page at the beginning. So the use of multiple
forms would not bring me much benefits.

> sandeep

Jing