The only formal restriction is that they can't begin or end with a "/". A
container is supposed to append the content of each <welcome-file> element to
the requested URI and see whether a resource is mapped to the resulting URI. So,
while it's unusual, embedded "/" characters should be supported.

D.O.Tech       <http://www.dotech.com/>