OK, for those of you following this thread, I ended up getting this to
work, although it's kind of ugly IMHO.

In splashAction, I cram the form containing the data from input.jsp
into the request, then forward to splash.jsp, which keeps the data in
hidden fields (populated by the previous form).  The "onload" event
handler in the "body" tag of splash.jsp automatically submits the form
to longAction.do (the action that needed the data in the first place).

There is a bit of lag time (0.5 to 1 second) in displaying the splash
screen, but the browser (I've tried this with Mozilla and IE) then
displays the splash screen until the results are ready.

Thanks to those who responded to my original post.  I wanted to try
subclassing the ActionServlet as suggested, but I needed to get this
and several other things done by the end of the week.

Dhruva