<snip>
Now there appears to be something setting the request to
null between actions, I just have no idea what.
</snip>

Well of course the request attributes are null (i presume its the request
attribute thats null and not the request reference itself!) in the second
action. Unless you do a server-side redirect direct to it from the first
action (which Im assuming your not - unless your doing action chaining
(which is bad)) then you will be hitting it as a result of a *new* request
from the browser.

<snip>
This sort of thing really should be happening
</snip>

Ahh... glad you recognise that ;-) but it should not be happening for the
session.

Im not sure why you are having problems getting it out of the session. It
could be that your session tracking isnt working properly. Check that you
either have cookies enabled in your browser, or if not that you are
rewriting any urls that need it. (In the case of a forms action url this
will be done automaticlly by the struts html:form tag) (- its considered
best practice for your application to be able to work without cookies btw -
which makes url rewriting in your pages essential.)