On Wed, 30 Jul 2003, Simon Kelly wrote:

> Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 15:47:55 +0200
> From: Simon Kelly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: [OT] Best super-class for context handling.
>
> Ah, right.
>
> Not sure whether that's what I'm after.
>
> Here's a better explination.
>
> I am using files that are contained within the /WEB-INF/ dir within the web
> application to hold information required by the business logic. These files
> are not part of the controller or view but are required to generate the
> content data for the action classes. So I need something that will get the
> paths regardless of the enviroment they are in. I have chosen to pass all
> file names within the business logic in the form /WEB-INF/dir/file.x and
> have been using context.getRealPath() [or the correct method if that's
> wrong] to get the path name (which I had thought would be ok as it will
> always return the correct path regardless of where the webapp is deployed).
>
> Is this wrong, and is there a better way to do it?

Assuming you're in an Action, do this:

InputStream is =
 servlet.getServletContext().getResourceAsStream("/WEB-INF/dir/file.x");

It will be portable everywhere, even if you end up running on containers
that don't expand your webapp into an unpacked directory -- in those
environments, getRealPath() will return null.

> Cheers
>
> Simon

Craig