If your doing Struts you gotta have a character encoding filter servlet.
Try googling it.

- vineet

import java.io.IOException;

import javax.servlet.Filter;

import javax.servlet.FilterChain;

import javax.servlet.FilterConfig;

import javax.servlet.ServletException;

import javax.servlet.ServletRequest;

import javax.servlet.ServletResponse;

/**

 * Example filter that unconditionally sets the character encoding to be
used

 * in parsing the incoming request to a value specified by the

 * <strong>encoding</string> filter initialization parameter in the web app

 * deployment descriptor (</code>/WEB-INF/web.xml</code>).  This filter
could

 * easily be extended to be more intelligent about what character encoding

 * set, based on characteristics of the incoming request (such as the values

 * or a value stashed in the current user's session).

 *

 * @author Craig McClanahan

 * @version $Revision: 1.1 $ $Date: 2001/07/24 00:26:55 $

 */

public class SetCharacterEncodingFilter implements Filter {

    // ----------------------------------------------------- Instance
Variables

    /**

     * The default character encoding to set for requests that pass through

     * this filter.

     */

    protected String encoding = null;

    /**

     * The filter configuration object we are associated with.  If this
value

     * is null, this filter instance is not currently configured.

     */

    protected FilterConfig filterConfig = null;

    // --------------------------------------------------------- Public
Methods

    /**

     * Take this filter out of service.

     */

    public void destroy() {

        this.encoding = null;

        this.filterConfig = null;

    }

    /**

     * Select and set (if specified) the character encoding to be used to

     * interpret request parameters for this request.

     *

     * @param request The servlet request we are processing

     * @param result The servlet response we are creating

     * @param chain The filter chain we are processing

     *

     * @exception IOException if an input/output error occurs

     * @exception ServletException if a servlet error occurs

     */

    public void doFilter(ServletRequest request, ServletResponse response,

                         FilterChain chain)

    throws IOException, ServletException {

        // Select and set (if needed) the character encoding to be used

        String encoding = selectEncoding(request);

        if (encoding != null)

            request.setCharacterEncoding(encoding);

    // Pass control on to the next filter

        chain.doFilter(request, response);

    }

    /**

     * Place this filter into service.

     *

     * @param filterConfig The filter configuration object

     */

    public void init(FilterConfig filterConfig) throws ServletException {

    this.filterConfig = filterConfig;

        this.encoding = filterConfig.getInitParameter("encoding");

    }

    // ------------------------------------------------------ Protected
Methods

    /**

     * Select an appropriate character encoding to be used, based on the

     * characteristics of the current request and/or filter initialization

     * parameters.  If no character encoding should be set, return

     * <code>null</code>.

     * <p>

     * The default implementation unconditionally returns the value
configured

     * by the <strong>encoding</strong> initialization parameter for this

     * filter.

     *

     * @param request The servlet request we are processing

     */

    protected String selectEncoding(ServletRequest request) {

        return (this.encoding);

    }

}