2001 August 8th, Craig answered:

--------------------
    * From: Craig R. McClanahan
    * Subject: Re: Why would jsessionid not appear?
    * Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2001 12:09:26 -0700

The jsessionid path parameter will only be added if the servlet container
does not know whether your client supports cookies.  How Tomcat handles
this (probably typical of others):

* On the first response in a session, send the session id
  both ways (cookie and encoding).

* If the subsequent request comes back with a cookie, turn
  of URL rewriting for the remainder of this session.

* If the subsequent request comes back without a cookie,
  keep on rewriting.

Craig

Cheers:).

-Yan