From: Adam Levine [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: August 14, 2003 10:43 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: validation philosophical question

My personal preference is there should be as little reliance on the front-side as possible. I personally hate little JS boxes popping up at me "this entry isn't right.. fix it!", and much prefer a submit-correct cycle with quiet, unobtrusive indicators showing me what I need to change.

If you insist on front-side validation (which, yes, can make the user
experience better), you should ALWAYS have backup/duplicate server-side
validation.. otherwise, what happens for the browsers/users who 1) don't
have JS enabled, 2) don't have JS functionality ?

As for where the appropriate place is business side.. That's dependent upon
your system design.  My Actions merely act as a gateway to business objects
that handle data validation.  If the data isn't right, I aggregate a list of
custom exceptions ('UserLoginNameAlreadyExistsException') to be handed back
to the Action caller, and return to the caller w/o performing any more
business logic.  The action caller checks that list for entries, and
accumulates form field error messages appropriately, and then
forwards/returns (actionmapping)  to the entry page.

if the business logic generates no custom exceptions, i perform the business
logic as appropriate (ie, updating/creating an entity bean, and return an
empty list to the caller.

if i have a system level problem (EJB/JNDI/something systematic that just
doesn't work), I throw a custom generic exception (ie,
UserCreationException) for the calling process to catch.  the action can
then populate the errors with a generic process error message ("there was a
system problem trying to create your account. try again or send an email
to....").

The point of all this is my data validation is kept in one place so I can
swap the interface as needed.  The only commonality between all interfaces
would be the use of an ActionForm and a List to hold returned validation
'exceptions'.  And I have no problem with that. the Form is just a POJO for
all intents and purposes, as it should be.   This leaves my interface to be
business logic stupid, but interface/UI logic smart.

my $0.02.

Hi;

Everyone who hits my site has a high-speed connection. So I am thinking that
it makes sense to do server side validation only as that provides a better
method than the javascript pop-ups.

And in this case, it seems to me that the logical place for all validation
then is inside the ActionForm validate method.

comments?

thanks - dave