if you give the error mssage a different property then you can differentiate
between the two

errors.add("javascriptErrors", new ActionError("error.js.field.missing",
fieldName));
errors.add("textError", new ActionError("error.text.field.missing",
fieldName));

this above html:errors tag will only display errors that have the
"textError" property

there no limit to the number of different error  properties you can have.

for example

I have a form where you canenter user details in, if any required fields are
missing it makes an error with property "top"

errors.add("top", new ActionError("error.fields.missing"));

this erro says something generic like "Some of the required fields are
missing, see arrows below"

in my page the <html:error property="top"/> tag goes at the top of the form.

and next to each missing field I have a <html:errors proerty="myFieldName"/>

if that field is missing I create an error like

errors.add("myFieldName", new ActionError("error.left.arrow"));

this then lets me use one text error, and then have an arrow point to each
of the missing fields in the form.

Regards

Steve