Can anyone name the book the following joke appeared in?

I have cleaned it up a little (the punch line) and I am typing it from
memory so it isn't exactly like the book.

There once was a native American Chief who named everybody in his tribe.
One of the young boys who was a

member of the tribe asked one day...

Boy: How do you come up with all of the names of each member of the tribe?

Chief: At the moment of birth I look to our surroundings and see what is
happening in nature and that is how I know.

         For instance, if the weather is violent and restless the name I
give may be "Thunder-Cloud".

         If the animals are at play the name may be "Running-Deer"

        So why do you ask, Two-Dogs-Mating???

:-)