You can get the value for your key like this from within your action.
getResources().getMessage ("host.name")

so your resources:

errors.required=Required {0}
host.name=Hostname

and the code:

new ActionError("errors.required", getResources().getMessage
("host.name"));

The only thing is this method getResources() is deprecated. But I am
sure there is some substitution for it.

Alex.